lawyer's softball league rules and regulations
1. Games will be played per the schedule at the Truxton
Park Fields (Collison Field, by the pool, and Griscom Fields # 1 and
# 2) on Thursday evenings.
2. Two games will be played on the Griscom Fields, and three games on
Collison every Thursday. The first game will start at 6:30 p.m. and
the second game will start at 7:45 p.m. The 7:45 game on Collison will
be a double header, and the second game will start following the conclusion
of the first, approximately 9:00 p.m. If a team wishes to take batting
practice, then that should occur prior to 6:30 with due regard to any
other users of the facility. IF A TEAM CANNOT FIELD THE MINIMUM NUMBER
OF PLAYERS WITHIN 10 MINUTES OF THE START TIME, THE GAME IS FORFEITED.
Forfeit time for the first game of the double header is within 10 minutes
of the start time. If the forfeiting team is unable to field a team
within 25 minutes of the original start time, they will forfeit the
second game of the double header also.
league dues for this year are $ 515 per team and is payable to the AABA
by the start of the season. The fee covers field rentals, umpires and
softballs, as well as money for various other league activities and
determination if a game is rained out will be made by the City of Annapolis
Rec Dept., or the umpires on the field. A rain out number will be listed
on the schedule. Rained out games will not be rescheduled.
5. There shall be a minimum of two women playing in the field at all
6. The minimum number of players needed to start a game is eight - two
of which must be women. IF A TEAM PLAYS WITH ONLY EIGHT PLAYERS, THE
NINTH POSITION IN THE BATTING ORDER WILL BE RECORDED AS AN AUTOMATIC
OUT EACH TIME THAT POSITION IS SUPPOSED TO BAT.
7. Teams may have two designated hitters, as long as one is female.
(12 person line-up)
8. Free substitution will be allowed at all times.
9. Ringer Rule - Each team must have 7 legitimate players on the field
at all times. The definition of a legitimate player is as follows: "Any
attorney, support staff employed by an attorney in a legal related business
on a regular basis, any paralegal, any employee of any of the County
Courthouses or their agencies such as the Clerk of the Court and Sheriff's
Office, State's Attorney's Office, Office of the Public Defender, any
employee of the Department of the Legislative Services, any employee
of the Governor's Office or the Office of Budget Management, any person
who has played in the league prior to the 2006 season. All teams are
urged to recruit new players from members of the Bar Association.
10. Every batter will begin with a one strike, one ball count. (1-1).
A batter is out after three strikes. A batter is granted a walk after
four balls. With 2 strikes a batter fouling off 2 more pitches will
be called out on strikes.
11. Male batters will be pitched a 12" softball. Female batters
may choose between the 12" ball and an 11" ball.
12. 150' rule - outfielders are prohibited from playing any closer than
150' from home plate when a women is at bat. The 150' will be marked
by a traffic cone on the foul lines.
13. Slaughter Rule - There shall be a 10 run slaughter rule in effect
for every game as follows: After the losing team bats in the 5th inning,
if losing by 10 or more runs the game is ended.
14. Men must use Easton Hammer SK4 softball bats. Women use aluminum
and must adhere to Banned Bat List.
15. Three (3) home runs per team per game. Any more are outs.
16. Time limit: No new inning will start after 1 hour and 15 minutes
from the start of the game. If the game is ended by operation of this
time limit rule, the score of the game will revert back to the last
official inning. Games can end in a tie.
17. The umpires shall make all calls on the field.
18. The State Bar tournament team will be selected by the manager of
the first place team at the end of the regular season and each team
will select one player to represent their team.
19. Seeding for the post season tournament which will involve all teams
seeded by record. In the event of a tie between two or more teams record
wise will be decided first by examining head to head records and then
by coin flip.
20. To be eligible for the playoffs the player must have played in at
least one regular season game. However, a member of the AABA can be
added at any time.
rules stated above supercede any written ASA slowpitch softball rules,
as noted in #4 on the rules sheet attached to the schedule.